How does setting Personal Criteria work?
On any page that has the symbol
Enter your desired criteria
Next time you enter the page, your personal search/filter criteria will be applied.
Throughout the site there are comprehensive search capabilities. The User sets criteria and then clicks on 'Show' to display a Results Table filtered by the Search Criteria. An example of a complex search that uses criteria can be found in Information:Matches. Each User can customize his/her own set of personal Criteria values. They are saved and reloaded for the individual when subsequent use of the page requires it or they use the Reset function.
First some terminology. There are different levels of 'Default' criteria that prepopulate or prefill in the search criteria on a specific page.
Internal Criteria Default criteria set by the manufacturer of the software. For example the initial setting for pulldowns is 'All'.
Hard Coded Criteria Criteria entered by the developer of the software and are used depending on which site you are using. For example PlayingLeague = 'Delgado' or PlayingLeague='Redwood' is sometimes set as criteria depending if the query is originated from www.delgadosoccer.org or from www.redwoodsoccer.org. These criteria values are coded into the website(s). However, when you click on the Reset bullseye, these criteria will be reset to the site or internal defaults.
Site Criteria Criteria set by an Administrator of the site. Also known as database criteria. If set by the Administrator these values supercede the internal criteria. The Administrator must be careful, as these values will apply to all the websites that use the same database (for example Delgado and Redwood).
Personal Criteria Criteria set by the individual User. This criteria supecedes the site or internal criteria. This criteria is available when the User is logged on.
Why would you care?
By setting your own personal criteria search values, you do not have to enter them or reselect them every time you visit a search page. So for example, if you are primarily interested in your son's under-13 team, you can set the Gender to 'B', the AgeLevel to 'U13' and you can avoid sifting through all the other teams.
On which pages can a default criteria be set?
Look for the 'Show' button. Look to the right of the 'Show' button. If you see a bullseye target, that query page can have personal criteria set. The personal criteria are associated with your User Sitename when you log on. So of course, if you don't log on, the system won't know what set of personal criteria to use. When not logged on, the system uses a database wide default criteria.
How do I set my Personal Default Criteria?
- First, perform the search or query that you want to be your default. As the example, select 'B' for Gender or 'U13' for AgeLevel. Pay attention to the date field. You may want to avoid 'Today' as a date as the first date, or you may really want to use 'Today'.
- Click on 'Show' to perform the search.
- Is the Results Table reflective of what you wanted to see? Save the criteria search by clicking on the Save icon to the right of the 'Show' button.
- Save Icon
- Click this icon to save the search criteria as your personal criteria.
You have now saved your Personal Criteria. Whenever you visit this search page, your criteria will prepopulate the search criteria boxes at the top of the page. You can, of course, edit any of the criteria. There are also several levels of resetting the criteria. Click on the blue or gray bullseye. Clicking on the bullseye will step your through the other colors.
- Reset to Internal Default Icon
- Click on the blue centered bullseye to reset from my personal saved criteria to the Site default (if available) or the internal default.
- Reset to Internal Default and Delete Saved Icon
- Click on the red centered bullseye to delete my personal saved criteria and restore the Site default (if available) or the internal default. (Don't want to delete your saved personal criteria - don't click on the red bullseye. You can return to the blue or gray bullseye by hitting 'Show'.)
- Reset Icon
- Click on the gray centered bullseye to reset the current criteria to my own personal criteria (if saved), the Site default (if available) and then the internal default
It is not perfect
Internal criteria, default criteria, saved criteria, personal criteria, blue reset, gray reset, red reset ...............AAARGH! Yes, this mechanism is not perfect. However it is intended to allow you to get to the information you want. The bottom line.
Conduct the search you are interested in. Click 'Show'. Click the 'Save icon' . You are done.